10 Ways to Make a Difference this Valentine’s Day
This Valentine’s Day, instead of just expressing your love to your friends and family, why not spread some joy to your whole community? Pick a favorite from our list of 10 ways to make a difference this Valentine’s Day to create a ripple effect of love and joy:
1. Make a Valentine card and deliver to someone who needs a smile.
2. Turn something that people ignore into a beautiful thing. Spend a few minutes picking up trash or scrubbing graffiti at a local park. Think of it as your valentine to your community!
3. Write a thank-you note to someone who has made a difference in your life. This could be a teacher, your YVC Team Leader, or even an agency that has welcomed you and your fellow volunteers this school year.
4. Show the earth some love—plant a garden if you live in a climate that’s already showing signs of spring or research how to get involved in a community garden in a few months if there’s still snow on the ground outside.
5. Share positive messages around your school to help combat bullying (check out these anti-bullying compliment ideas).
6. Buy a package of Hershey Hugs candy to hand out outside your school, a mall, or anywhere where someone might appreciate a “hug.”
7. Serve a meal to someone who may not otherwise get to eat that day. The way to the heart is through the stomach, right?
8. Serve alongside a team of friends or friends-to-be. Sharing your love is even better when you serve alongside others who are doing the same.
9. Volunteer at an animal shelter to help bring some love to the furry members of your community.
10. Commit to volunteering at least once a month through the rest of the year to keep transforming your community one project at a time.