“My parents showed me the value of giving back to the community, and this scholarship rewards a young person with the same spirit.”
– Julie Sloan, who launched the scholarship in honor of her parents
Youth Service Scholarship
The Don and Jean Sloan Youth Service Scholarship is awarded through Youth Volunteer Corps Headquarters. The $1,000 scholarship is open to active YVC volunteers who have demonstrated excellence in volunteerism and leadership and who are committed to making a difference in their communities.
2013: Zeeyaan Somani, Calgary
2014: Madison Fitzgerald, Kansas City
2015: Alyssa Barrett, Danbury
2016: Sophia Mauro, Kansas City
2017: XianHui Zhang, Philadelphia
2018: Jessica Vu, Calgary
2019: Micah Chen, Danbury
2020: Qinlan Moc, Philadelphia
- Must be a youth volunteer with a Youth Volunteer Corps program.
- Must be a senior in high school or a first-year college/university student to apply.
- Must demonstrate good character and leadership.
- Must have plans to continue volunteer service in college and beyond.
- Preference will be given to youth volunteers who have completed at least 100 hours of service during a two-year period with any YVC program throughout the U.S. or Canada.
Scholarship recipients will be selected based on community service activities and volunteer work with YVC, as well as a demonstration of leadership.
What You Need
- The Scholarship application. Please ensure that your application is submitted successfully—you will be redirected to a page thanking you for submitting your application to confirm that your application was successfully submitted.
- Two references (not family members) who fill out the reference form. (You are responsible for ensuring that their reference arrives on time.)
- If you live in Canada, you can use this Canadian Grade Point Average Converter to convert your grades to the U.S. standard.
Application Deadline: April 30
Questions about the application process? Contact Chelan David at email@example.com or 816-472-9822.