Top 10 Things to Do Within Walking Distance of the Summit
This year’s YVC Summit is located right in the heart of Kansas City on the Plaza. While the Summit weekend is jam-packed full of interesting workshops, networking opportunities and a comedy show as part of your Summit registration cost, you’ll also want to take time to explore the nearby area.
We made sure to keep Saturday evening free for you to explore. Here’s just a few options for a memorable evening:
10. Go shopping in the Plaza neighborhood, where the Summit hotel is located. It’s the top shopping district in Kansas City, with more than 150 shops just blocks away.
9. Visit the Kansas City’s Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art. It’s just two blocks away and totally free!
8. Walk around the Plaza and enjoy the Spanish architecture modeled after Kansas City’s sister city Seville, Spain. You can see 30+ statues, murals and tile mosaics as well as a half-sized replica of the Giralda Tower of Seville.
7. Eat at one of dozens of restaurants on the Plaza, ranging from inexpensive to fine dining.
6. Tour the Kansas City Sculpture Park, right next to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. Celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, the 22-acre park contains 30+ sculptures.
5. Walk about a half mile to the north of the hotel to Westport, the oldest established community in Kansas City and a thriving dining, shopping and entertainment district.
4. Go on a scavenger hunt for fountains. Known as the City of Fountains, only Rome has more fountains than Kansas City. Kansas City has more than 200 fountains, with dozens in the Plaza area, including the J.C. Nichols Memorial Fountain which is the most famous in the city.
3. Visit the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, internationally recognized as one of the top art museums in the U.S. featuring more than 33,500 works of art from around the world and ranging from ancient to modern works. Not to mention, it’s also free!
2. Check out the annual (free!) WaterFire event that’s happening on the Plaza the same weekend as the YVC Summit. This signature Kansas City event features beautiful floating bonfires traveling down Brush Creek.
1. As interesting as the area around the Summit is, the most fun you’ll have all weekend is getting to know Youth Volunteers and YVC staff from all over the YVC network!