Mayor Sly James to Speak at YVC Summit
We’re excited to announce that Mayor Sly James will be a plenary speaker at the YVC Summit in October! Mayor James, who is launching a new initiative on improving resources for youth in Kansas City, will speak at the Saturday morning plenary. Beyond leading Kansas City, Mayor James is also known for his active presence on Twitter and his typical bowtie attire.
We’ve also got a great line-up of workshop facilitators this year. Here are just a few highlights:
Youth Volunteer Workshops:
- Rich Linden: Known for his energetic and humorous style of speaking, Rich has spoken to 800,000+ people about youth issues over the years. He has produced several videos for social organizations, is the voice on many local TV commercials, and has appeared on “Party of Five.”
- Chris Miller, former YVC of Greater Kansas City Program Director: Back by popular demand, Chris’ workshop has been one of the most highly rated two years in a row now.
- Joe Colaizzi, Executive Director of the Kansas City Rescue Mission: Ever wonder what it’s like to be homeless? Joe will take us inside the mind of a homeless person and show us what life is like when you don’t have a roof over your head.
Program Directors/AmeriCorps Member Workshops:
- Diane Marty, fundraising consultant: Diane made a brief appearance at last year’s Summit, and when she offered some fundraising guidance in one workshop, the attendees were quick to suggest that she lead a full workshop this year!
- Kim Bastable, Vital Leadership founder: After a successful tennis career, Kim found herself wanting to give back, so she founded Vital Leadership to mentor youth with leadership and life skills. Kim will be speaking about youth leadership and the motivation of youth and youth leaders.
- Lisa Hoffman, YVC Headquarters board member: A media relations consultant with an extensive communications background, Lisa has earned two Emmy Awards for television news reporting. She will combine her love for YVC and her marketing knowledge to provide practical and easy-to-implement ideas for your YVC program.
Those are just a few of the acclaimed speakers that we have lined up. This year, attendees are welcome to attend any workshop, whether it’s targeted for Youth Volunteers or staff.
We know this will be the best Summit yet!